To The Wig Shop!
Earlier than and After.
The hair in a wig is usually product of plastic. Except it is an costly human hair wig, which I do know nothing about as a result of they’re too costly for me to have. So presuming that you are poor like me, and working with a synthetic wig, common previous hair dye is not going to work. Being as it is designed for common outdated hair that isn’t made from plastic. Here is what you want as an alternative:
1. Acrylic ink. (Ink, not paint – this is important! You can find this at your local craft retailer. Or online.)
2. A cup of rubbing alcohol. (You will discover this in your medication cabinet.)
3. A spray bottle. (The dollar retailer is your pal.)
A number of the inks include a dropper inside the highest. I used two manufacturers: FW and Speedball. The FW had a dropper, the opposite did not. The dropper does make it simpler to make use of, and also you might want to select up some disposable pipettes if you don’t have the dropper. In any other case, simply rely in your finest guesstimation. If in case you have a dropper, the really useful ratio of ink to alcohol is eight full squeezes of ink for every cup of alcohol. Clearly this isn’t a precise science. Simply mix the ink and alcohol in the spray bottle until it appears to be the shade you need. You need to use completely different coloured inks to tweak the shade. And testing it out on lock of your wig’s hair would not be a foul thought.
For my wig I used 3/four cup of alcohol and about 6-7 squeezes of ink, and that i ended up with leftover ink mixture. But I used to be additionally turning an aqua wig blue, so I wasn’t frightened about whole coverage, and there are some spots the place the previous coloration continues to be seen. The quantity you will need actually depends on how a lot hair it’s good to cowl.
Please word. You cannot dye a wig lighter. So for example if you started with a red wig you would not be able to turn it pink, and if you happen to started with a black wig you wouldn’t be ready to show it every other shade. The shade you have beneath can have an effect on the ultimate coloration somewhat so for the purest shade you need to begin with a white wig. Blond may also take the colour nicely, and medium colors like my blue wig in this put up may even take the shade however they are going to solely go darker. All the time begin with a lighter wig and dye darker.
After you will have your mixture, set your wig up outdoors. I used the extremely fancy technique of placing a broomstick in a jug of water and propping the wig on the broomstick. This isn’t the most effective technique if it is windy. Additionally it seemed like I had scalped a muppet and hung it up as a warning to different muppets. (Muppets must be kept of their place.) When you get your wig propped up somewhere, someway you can begin spraying.
Be sure that you are both someplace that overspray and runoff don’t matter, or you might have something on the ground to catch the mess. It’ll make a multitude. The ink bought throughout my fingers, however when you wash it instantly it doesn’t really stain. (It does not stain Arms, for clothes there might be more of an issue. Do not wear your favourite white shirt.)
Let the wig dry. On cosplay.com they stated one thing like eight hours, but I did extra like 2 with no issues. Rinse the wig out with water. Let it dry again. And brush it out. If you utilize numerous ink it’s possible you’ll must rinse and brush greater than as soon as to get the crinkliness out; however even earlier than brushing, I used to be really pleased with the texture and shine on mine. There was some minor stiffness earlier than brushing, however not a lot.
And there you go. A number of straightforward steps and also you too can have a hair colour not discovered anywhere in caring for sew in weave nature.
ETA: I have been getting numerous questions in the feedback, so let me simply stress a pair things.
1) You can’t DYE A WIG LIGHTER WITH THIS Technique. You’ll be able to only dye a darker colour than what you’re beginning with.
2) RIT dye doesn’t work better than acrylic ink. There’s some information about it within the feedback the place I examined it out. And granted the standard of the wig I used was horrible, however it did not hold the colour as nicely at all. Simply so you know.
3) This is not a precise methodology. That is all primarily based on guesstimation. If you wish to play round with the mixture otherwise you need to attempt one thing in addition to a spray bottle that is fine. Just attempt to test it out on a bit of bit of the wig first if you’ll be able to. That is your finest method to determine how it’s going to work.
4) I’m not AN Expert! I really can’t inform you which of them colors you need to use to get a particular impact, and i’ve by no means tried to do highlights or dye with two totally different colours or anything complicated like that. While I feel numerous things are Doable with this methodology, I have never examined most of them, so it is actually going to be as much as you to play with the potentialities and use a little trial and error.
I do not thoughts attempting to answer any questions you have, but I can not provide you with way more data than what’s in this submit. Your greatest wager to search out out what’s potential and what you are able to do is simply to experiment.